How to reduce dark circles and swelling below the eyes?
There are many causes of dark circles and bags under eyes and the most frequent ones are:
- Increased build up of dark pigment melamine, responsible for dark discoloration around the eyelids.
- Loss of fatty tissue under the eye which occurs naturally with age.
- Weaken circulation and blood stagnation in smaller veins in the area around the eyelids, which is responsible for the dark discoloration and swellings of that area.
- Habits like excessive alcohol, caffeine and tobacco consumption contribute to the occurrence of dark circles around the eyes.
What can you do by yourself about the dark circles and bags under the eyes?
To reduce dark circles we advise the following:
- Enough sleep is a very easy way to reduce dark circles and bags swelling under the eyes, no matter the cause. During sleep the organism independently repairs skin damage.
- Avoiding alcohol and tobacco because their excessive consumption causes skin dehydration, which makes the dark circles even more prominent.
- Using bleaching creams, especially if the dark discoloration is the effect of melanin accumulation. Creams containing retinol, hydroquinone, Kojic acid, green tea, vitamin C or soy, can help to reduce the dark circles. To achieve the best effect, it is necessary to avoid the Sun and use sunscreen with protection factors of at least spf 30+.
- Vitamin K and menthol. Satisfying results can be achieved by using skin care products with these ingredients.
- Color correctors used to cover the dark circles must be a slightly lighter then the rest of the facial skin. The best color correctors are the ones that have protection factors, even if only spf 15+. If the skin is oily and prone to acne, oil-free correctors can be used.
Advice to reduce the swelling around the eye lids:
- Skin hydration. Dermatologists advise taking sufficient quantities of fluids, which will enable better skin metabolism around the eyes.
- Reducing the salt intake, because excessive salt intake enables the retention of bodily fluids in the eye region. It is best to reduce the use of salt during food preparation.
- Keeping green tea cold compresses around the eyes will reduce the swelling. Experts advise masks made from fresh cucumbers or frozen peas and carrot.
If the aforementioned measures do not produce satisfying results, reliable medical procedures are at your disposal.
To have dark circles removed we recommend carboxytherapy, which under dermatologist’s supervision very effectively removes the dark circles and bags under eyes. Usually about five carboxytherapy treatments are required – injecting medical CO2 in the region around the eye lids, thus improving the natural circulation of that region.
Carboxytherapy can be combined with mesotherapy, which injects active substances in the skin of this region to tighten it, improve hydration, remove swelling and pigmentation.
Filling the region around the eyes with hyaluronic fillers is also a method of choice, especially if the cause of bags under eyes is the loss of fatty tissue.
All recommended medical procedures can be done in our clinic.
Dermatological clinic DERMATIM, Belgrade, Serbia